Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

{ guest blog post }


I am super excited to introduce you to Helen a talented craft diva from Blue Eyed Beauty.
She has agreed to sharing with us her tutorial on how to make a "Denim Flower".
I love this green and thrifty craft project.
Creating a denim flower from an old pair of jeans, no trip to the store required for this project. Love That! I am planning to make a few of these flowers, one for my hair and another to embellish my handbag.
Take it away Helen . . .
DIY Denim Flower
I decided to use the bits of scraps left over from my Layered Denim Skirt to make a flower to wear in my hair when I wear my skirt. This is the second fabric flower I have ever made (my first one was a different style which I am still perfecting).

What You Need:
8-9 pieces of fabric, cut in circle shapes, a hot glue gun, a large needle, and a bobby pin.

1. Taking the large needle and one of the circle pieces, poke the needle through. Insert the top part of the bobby pin. For each circle repeat this process until they are all done.

2. Fold the circle in half.

3. Fold in half again. Cut off the point at the bottom.

3. Scrunch the fabric. Make it more or less ruffly as you want it.

4. Hot glue in between each fold near the bottom piece that was cut out.

5. Put a good size glob of hot glue on the circle piece around the bobby pin. Work quickly to press the flower petal piece down in the glue to get it secured.
6. When you get the whole flower put together, use little bits of hot glue to secure the flower all the way down.
7. To add the sparkles, use a dot of hot glue and quickly press the sparkle into the glue. Add as many as you want. I only added a few to mine.
Now your flower is done!
Enjoy wearing it with any outfit you want.
The nice thing about the bobby pin is you can put it in anything!

Thanks Helen for sharing this awesome tutorial with us. ;o)
This is a great project to make with the kids. It’s also a great way to give kids a lesson in the importance of reducing, reusing, and recycling while keeping them busy this summer.
Smiles, Paula

9 comments:

  1. Very nice-looks easy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love this idea, and I love that it's denim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Paula for sharing this!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen did a nice job on the tut! Thanks for sharing, Paula:)

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea Helen! I have lots of denim scraps and definitely will be trying this.
    slrdowney at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I bet you will have a bunch of cute flowers!

      Helen
      Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

      Delete