Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

DIY Bird Treats


I have been busy planning different fun activities to do with my granddaughter Isabella when she comes over to visit during the summer.  She is super crafty at fours years old, and I must do my part to keep her on that path { wink }.  Yes, I feel that is my duty as her Mimi. ;o)  I personally love crafts that show the environment some Love.  Last week we made adorable heart shaped bird treats, my original inspiration came from Alison with Pint Size Treasures.

DIY Bird Treats
Supplies:
Bread
A Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter
Creamy Peanut Butter
Birdseed
Twine or Yarn
A Wooden Skewer

Directions:
First, I left the bread slices out on the kitchen counter overnight so they would be dried out the next morning.  We made four bird treats, so I took out four slices of bread one for each treat.  The next morning we used a heart shaped cookie cutter to make shapes from the bread slices.  Then we simply spread our hearts with peanut butter on both sides, and sprinkled them with bird seed.  We used the wooden skewer to make holes for hanging them with twine.  We waited a few days to let them dry out and harden a bit more, then we headed outside to hang them in our yard.



I think that feeding the birds is a great way to show kindness to the world around us.  Isabella and I enjoyed watching the birds indulge their new treats.  It made us so happy to show our feathered friends just how much we care!
Smiles, Paula



{ Follow Me on Pinterest } Paula Parrish

6 comments:

  1. I love this! We are big time bird lovers/watchers. But I have to buy safflower seed otherwise the squirrels take it all away from the birds. I wonder if safflower would work with this? It is a bigger seed. Maybe I could make one for the squirrels too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time post a picture with brids too ;-)
    I love your simple idea and soon I'll make some with my two kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do this with my kids--should try it with the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, these are SO cute!! Heart shaped bird treats - that's just too adorable for words! Thanks for sharing how you made them!

    I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Love this idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute, Paula! What a fun little project that would be.

    ReplyDelete