Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

{ cleaning up naturally }

A few years back I started to make homemade cleaning products
as a way to save money and to be Eco Friendly.
Striving to use products that would be safer for the environment and safer for my family (me included).
Here are a few recipes that I use when cleaning.

Photo Credit ~ Corbis Images
Microwave Cleaner
½ c. Vinegar
2 c. Water
Combine in microwave safe bowl, heat on high for 3-4 minutes, remove bowl and wipe down inside of microwave.

Dishwasher Detergent
2 c. Borax
2 c. Baking Soda
2 T. Citric Acid
1 Package of Unsweetened Lemon Kool-Aid
Vinegar for the rinse cycle.
Mix all of the dry ingredients and place in a container with lid.
Use about 1-2 Tablespoons per load.
Pour a few tablespoons of white vinegar into the "rinse aid" compartment of your dishwasher or simply pour in during the rinse cycle. This will help to keep your dishes from having a "cloudy" look!
You may substitute Kool-Aid or “Fresh Fruit” for the citric acid; which both are basically citric acid. The citric acid also helps keep the dishes from building up a cloudy residue. I have been using this recipe and it works great. My dishes come out sparkling clean. Love it!

Green Glass Cleaner
1/4 c. Rubbing Alcohol
1 c. Vinegar
4 c. Water
1 T. Lemon Juice or a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil.
2-3 Drops Blue Food Coloring (optional)
I use this recipe on all hard household surfaces, glass, marble, bathtubs, sinks and tile. Everything comes out “Sparkling” clean. The acetic acid in the vinegar is an effective disinfectant, deodorizer, and cleaner which will cut grease and soap scum, dissolve mineral buildup, cuts water spots, inhibit mold and bacteria growth.
Vinegar is a organic bi-product of fruits, grains and vegetables. It is therefore edible and biodegradable. Vinegar is very safe for the environment and for family members. It is also a very effective and amazingly versatile household cleaner that is very crazy cheap. It doesn't contain harmful chemicals, so if 'pour it down the drain' or ‘flush it down the toilet’ it has no impact on sewer and water treatment system. White vinegar has no real affect on the environment. I just can’t say enough about vinegar. The only thing that I'm not fond of is the smell so I often cover it up with a few drops of lemon essential oil.

I have shared the Laundry Detergent recipe that I use on my other blog Handmade Soap Gossip. You can find that recipe here: Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent.

Do you have cleaning recipes to share? Or just cleaning tips? I would love to hear from you.
Smiles, Paula

10 comments:

  1. I do the same and try to clean using no harsh chemicals. For my bathroom counter and sinks I have a mix of borax and baking soda and sprinkle that on the counter then I spray it with white vinegar that I have in a spray bottle. I wipe and clean... nice and shiny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sprinkling the borax and baking soda on the counter sounds great; I am going to give that a try. Thanks, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these tips, Paula ~ anything to make the job easier is great! My fave way to clean the microwave is to squeeze half a lemon into a cup of water and cook it for about 3 minutes; remove it and wipe the microwave clean ~ wahlah!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula - thanks for sharing your cleaning supply recipes. I've been wanting to try a few homemade cleansers but haven't quite gotten there yet.

    I always love your photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas. I do the white vinegar thing in the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Paula, thanks for visiting me! and thanks for the sweet comment, oh and thanks for the great recipes I' gonna try these!:+D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, that is a awesome idea to squeeze half a lemon into a cup of water to steam clean the microwave. I can't wait to try it and see how the inside of the microwave smells after I am done. Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipes - and so easy! (I use borax in a rosemary hair rinse that i make.)
    Your Fall Spa Bundle looks delectable!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The body butter looks absolutely divine! Thanks for the giveaway!
    angiedkelly at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tips!

    Sharing on my Facebook page ;)

    ReplyDelete