Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Witch Hazel and Skincare

Witch hazel is something that I like to keep on hand in my home because it is so versatile.  It is produced from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch Hazel shrub, and it has a long history of being used by American Indians.  Witch hazel is a wonderful botanical extract that is very healing to the skin.

Here are a few natural uses for witch hazel.

Eye Treatment
I keep a bottle of witch hazel chilled in the refrigerator.  When my eyes are feeling tired from reading or staring at the computer screen.  I soak two cotton pads in the chilled witch hazel, lie down, cover both of my eye lids, and relax for 5 minutes.

Facial Cleansing
I like to wet a soft cotton cosmetic round with witch hazel and wipe my face with it to cleanse.  I am always shock on how much dirt is collectioned on the pad after I wipe my face.  Witch hazel has a wonderful ability to clean skin pores and dry up excessive oil without leaving skin too dry.

Acne Treatment
Witch hazel is a amazing acne treatment because it is strong astringent and has antioxidant properties.  Simply apply witch hazel directly on your to the acne affected skin twice a day using a cotton ball or pad.

Sunburn Remedy
Apply witch hazel to a washcloth and gently pat on your sunburned skin. Witch hazel will help soothe the burn and prevent peeling.

Cold Sore Treatment
Witch Hazel can be applied on a cold sore when you feel it coming on most times this will prevent it from becoming a blister, or speed up healing.

Treats Bug Bites
Witch hazel has anti-itch and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it ideal to treating bug bites.  Apply the witch hazel with a cotton ball, then dab directly on the bite.

Heals Cuts
Witch hazel can be a substitute for hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, or rubbing alcohol when it comes to cleaning out a cut. Pour some witch hazel over the cut or sore and allow it to dry, apply a bandage and you’re set.



Witch hazel is inexpensive and natural product that is good to keep on hand.
I hope that this post has help become aware of other practical uses for witch hazel?
Smiles, Paula


{ Follow Me on Pinterest } Paula Parrish

4 comments:

  1. I love your helpful hints for witch hazel. Some of the uses are new to me. Thanks. I have been missing posts on my blogger roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew most of these but never thought of using it on bug bites--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips. I have Witch Hazel in my soap making supplies for making bath bombs but I never knew I could use it for so much else! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, great information on Witch Hazel. I really didn't know all the different uses - so thanks! (Sharon)

    We FEATURED your Witch Hazel post as part of the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT No.23

    Feel free to grab yourself a featured button or link to the post http://bebetsy.com/2013/09/23/brag-no23/. Our next party starts at midnight tonight.

    Sharon and Denise ♥

    ReplyDelete