Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

DIY Cold Cream Recipe

Thinking about all of the options to use on my face for skin care?  Wondering if maybe it was easier for generations past, when there were only fewer opportunities to be pampered {no facials or spas}, but also fewer products and lotions.  Do you remember Cold Cream?  It was cold cream to take off makeup, cold cream to moisturize, cold cream to wear overnight on your face with hair curlers, and you would be a 50's or 60’s stereotype housewife.  My grandmother Lela was no exception, she loved her cold cream. She continued using it into and beyond her 70s.  I must say her face always looked truly amazing soft, supple, and youthful.  So what's in cold cream?  It's a blend of fats and oils, and it usually includes some type of scent.  Cold cream is wonderful for soothing dry skin.
DIY Cold Cream
Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of Organic Sunflower Oil
1 Cup of Pure Vegetable Shortening {no lard}
½ Teaspoon of Lavender Essential Oil
Directions:
Mix all of the ingredients together with a hand mixer. Store in a container with a tight fitting lid.
How to Use:
To remove makeup, spread a thin layer on your face, allow it to sit for a moment, and then wipe off with a soft cloth. Cold cream can also be left on overnight; for example, rub it into your face before bed, washing it off in the morning.  It can also be used to treat dry skin spots, rub into feet, elbows, or hands.
Storage:
Cold cream keeps best at room temperature in a tight sealed container.
Tips:
  • The oils in cold creams can leave skin feeling greasy. People with oily skin may want to take a pass on cold cream.
  • Cold cream is the ultimate all in one cleanser, makeup remover, and moisturizer.
  • Cold cream is very easy and inexpensive to make at home.
  • People with very dry skin, or who suffer from extremely dry flaky patches.  Cold cream can be a absolution God sent.
  • For this skin care recipe ingredients search for the highest quality products and use organic ingredients whenever possible.
If you make up a batch of this cold cream?  I would love to hear from you, and just what you think of the recipe.
Thanks for stopping by visiting.
Smiles, Paula


13 comments:

  1. Hello
    Thank you for this recipe. I would love to try making this but I am not sure how to go about it. Do you melt the vegetable shortening and the add the oil? I would be really grateful for a few instructions.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to include the instructions in my original post. {I updated the post} Don’t melt the vegetable shortening, just keep it at room temperature. Simply, mix all of the ingredients together with a hand mixer until fluffy.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Debbie, do you melt the shortenting and then blend in the oils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been *all about* the diy skin products lately. This is another one I can add to my list!! If you have a minute, I'd love for you to link up to Sweet Sharing Monday - http://saynotsweetanne.com/2012/sweet-sharing-monday-21/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great recipe, I can always remember my grandma putting cold cream on at night, and she had the nicest skin! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cold cream! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great recipe!
    slrdowney at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great recipe. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so luxurious and creamy! I just started making my own creams at home ... so much better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing. I love that the ingredients is so simple. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday! Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally going to make this. I love the scent of cold cream. Reminds me of my nana. :)

    ReplyDelete